Friday, October 17, 2008

The king is dead. Long live the king!

Unfortunately for me, I have a job involved heavily in the share market. We earn revenue from the percentage of shares held. Over the course of the last 6 months, my company has gone from a position of a small margin profit, to a revenue which is now significantly less than costs. Clearly this was never going to last long.

Surprisingly, I was retained by the company (they clearly do not know what I actually do, which is no surprise because I too have little idea of what I actually do either). But as of this afternoon, the company has passed over to another and I am effectively employed in what I would classify tenuous circumstances.

The bad news : I may at some point (soon) be completely unemployed.
The good news : Apparently I can still get drunk at lunch, as proved today.

The only question remaining is whether the corporate credit card still works.....I guess there is only one way to resolve that issue. See you all at the pub.

5 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spud, please don't take this as a gloat, cause it's not. Being a humble Geologist I don't understand all this financial crisis stuff but it does not bode well for many, however I am possibly one of the few in the world that is actually happy, I get paid in US$ and now find myself with 50% more Aussie that 2 mths ago, interest rates are going down and all my money goes into propery so I have no money in the bank to lose.

It's an odd situation, when everyone else is doing well I am doing badly and vice versa, I have been copping a crap exchange rate for years now and it is hard to feel elated when the bulk of people out there are in crisis...

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Moe Wanchuk said...

I'm with ya Spud....I'm a stock trader...My days could be numbered too

Cheers

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Spud Mack said...

d,

No need to worry about the gloating as it is just the way of the world. The whole thing over a 20-year period is just swings and roundabouts.

I have some Geo frineds that get paid in US$ as well and there was no end of complaining a few months back.

The thing is, not everybody can be rich. This is hard for people to understand, but every economy needs some people to be poor so it all levels out. I think the world forgot that at some point and so now it is taking it all back a few cogs.

I really should be doing this as a new post, I strugle with posting generally so why am I wasting this gold in the comments section?!?!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger hazelblackberry said...

Good luck, Spudalicious.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

d, if that is not a gloat then i don't know what is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home